Insurers, Doctors, Hospitals, and Drugs / Drug Costs

8/31/17 - Kasich, Hickenlooper release plans to stabilize ACA markets - The Hill

8/31/17 - Trump slashes ObamaCare outreach funding - The Hill

8/30/17 - 5 Outside-The-Box Ideas For Fixing The Individual Insurance Market - Kaiser Health News

8/25/17 - 4 Steps That Could Cut Health Insurance Premiums And Boost Enrollment - NPR

8/16/17 - An Emerging Approach to Payment Reform: All-Payer Global Budgets for Large Safety-Net Hospital Systems - Commonwealth Fund

8/11/17 - ObamaCare deadline for insurers delayed by three weeks - The Hill

8/10/17 - How the Affordable Care Act Has Helped Women Gain Insurance and Improved Their Ability to Get Health Care - Commonwealth Fund

4/27/17Healthcare groups denounce revised GOP health bill - The Hill reports that The American Hospital Association (AHA), American Medical Association (AMA) and American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) all denounced the revised AHCA.

4/20/17Amid growing uncertainty, states extend deadlines to file 2018 rates - Modern Healthcare reports that Colorado, New Hampshire, Oregon and Kentucky have extended deadlines for insurers to submit rates for 2018 Affordable Care Act health plans.

4/18/17Anxious insurers to meet with CMS - as reported in Politico Pulse, insurers met with CMS chief, Seema Verma  amid growing uncertainty over whether the Trump administration will pull $7 billion of critical cost-sharing funding out from under insurers on the Obamacare exchanges.

4/10/17How U.S. Health Care Became Big Business - Elisabeth Rosenthal in an interview with Terry Gross on NPR

4/4/16Shoring Up the Health Insurance Marketplaces: Learning from Medicare’s Prescription Drug Program - Tim Jost writing for the Commonwealth Fund says that Congress could apply the Medicare Part D approach and revive the ACA’s expired risk corridor program for counties in which two or fewer insurers apply to offer qualified health plan coverage for 2018 or 2019. It also could adopt an appropriation to fund the risk corridor program for those counties if excess losses exceed excess profits, a likely possibility.

12/05/16#NotMyAMA - AMA Members Question Price Endorsement for HHS -  In an open letter to the AMA - more than 370 physician members are now questioning the organization's endorsement of Representative Price as Director of HHS. They are threatening to resign from the AMA and start a social media campaign with the hashtag #NotMyAMA. They argue Price's desire to strike down ACA coverage expansion, change how Medicare and Medicaid are structured and defund Planned Parenthood are in direct opposition to the AMA's own goals for access and care. - Google Docs Survey

12/01/16 The AMA Does Not Speak For Us: The American Medical Association (AMA), which only represents 25% of US doctors, announced its support for the nomination of Representative Dr. Tom Price for Secretary of HHS. That support is facing a backlash from the other 75% of physicians who aren't members of the AMA. More than 2,000 physicians signed on to a petition denouncing the appointment in less than a day. - Clinician Action Network in Medium

11/30/1621st Century Cures Legislation Still a Bad Deal for Consumers: While the bill passed with overwhelming bipartisan support, and provides $5 billion in NIH funding over 10 years, that funding is uncertain. Also, questions about "speeding up" the process for FDA approval raises warning flags about price increases and safety. - Health Affairs

11/21/16Obamacare Repeal Stokes Fear of Market Collapse - Repealing the law without a replacement may spook health insurers, who then might bolt from the markets prematurely to avoid losses as some people stop paying their premiums, while other people rush to have expensive medical procedures before losing coverage. - Politico

11/21/16Uncertainty Regarding Health Care Reform Giving Health Industry Heartburn - Consumer aren't the only ones worried. The hospital industry may be the most vulnerable to proposed changes, which could result in millions of Americans losing health coverage, both through the insurance exchanges and expansion in the Medicaid program for those with lower incomes. - Kaiser Health News

11/11/16 - Consumers aren't the only ones concerned about threats to the ACA. Insurance carriers were also blind sided. They are also now working to address potential proposals and actions from a Trump administration. - New York Times