We have a high priority bill coming up for a hearing in the Senate Finance Committee next Wednesday, for which we need your support:
SB878 / HB1312: Health insurance - Medicaid Buy-In Task Force sets out a strategy that will help to address both access and affordability to health insurance coverage. Consumer Health First is grateful to the bill sponsors, Senator Brian Feldman (D15) and Delegate Ariana Kelly (D16), for taking up our recommendation to explore this important policy option.
The bill would create a Medicaid Buy-In Task Force to study and make recommendations to the Governor and General Assembly on the feasibility of providing consumers with additional health care coverage options. Specifically, it would address two issues:
- Affordability: For those who are just above the Medicaid threshold, insurance premiums are often out of reach, and this will allow them to receive financial assistance. With the rapid and dramatic increase in coverage premiums, these individuals, many of whom are self-employed, are now unable to afford health insurance.
- Choice of Benefit Plans: For those in the 13 Maryland counties and parts of three others which are currently served by only one insurance carrier, this would offer more choice, at potentially less cost.
We Need You To Take Action: Sign On as a Supporter of the Bill Now!
- Read the bill here.
- Find a fact sheet here.
- Read our Press Release here.
- Show your support today. The hearing is scheduled in the Senate Finance Committee on Wednesday, February 21, at 1:00 PM, and we need people to support our testimony. Sign up here to show your support.
- Share your story - if you have a story that relates to your ability to afford insurance or are impacted by having only one carrier in your area please - tell us your story.