After moving from "take it or leave it" to multiple rounds of amendments, the House GOP failed to garner the votes needed to pass the American Health Care Act. At a 4:00 p.m. press conference, Speaker Paul Ryan announced that the bill had been pulled.
Today's outcome is cause for celebration and a recognition that the efforts of advocates around the country and in Maryland had a positive impact. But this issue is not going away and we must not let down our guard.
- We will continue to track all proposals coming out of the Administration or Congress that could imperil the advances we have made in Maryland.
- We remain extremely concerned about the potential gutting of Medicaid through separate legislation and will continue our vigilance in protecting this critical safety net program.
- We will continue to work closely with our partners in both the public and private sectors to ensure that ALL Maryland health care consumers are protected and have the health care they deserve.
What Can You Do?
- We need your help now more than ever to work towards reforms that strengthen and improve the ACA. Please consider a donation to this critical work.
- Stay informed - sign up for our updates and join us for a webinar on the impact of the AHCA or similar legislation next Wednesday (see below). Even though the bill was pulled today - we'll review the key things to watch for and their potential impact here in Maryland.
- Share your story - How has the ACA impacted your life? We often have elected officials contact us for consumer stories.
- Contact us if you need help organizing an event or want a speaker.
- Keep us informed of relevant events in your community or issues of particular concern.
- Speak Out! - Attend the rally this weekend to let your voice be heard - see details below.